As most of my followers know … I’ve been trying to get rid of a whole lot of apples… and I didn’t want to do just one recipe with apples because that would be boring. You know what else would be boring? If everything turned out right the first time. Right?! Right. /sheepish smile
Soooooo … I wanted to make apple cider. I love going to Apple Hill, they have some fantastic fresh ciders out there. But since I missed a lil trip out there this fall I thought it would be nice to make my own.
I’m going to be honest with you right now … I made apple cider … but it was a journey to put it nicely … so I will share with you the recipe I used and what I would do differently next time.
I used this recipe. Which is a great recipe … but since this was the first time, I ran into a few hitches. Nothing I couldn’t overcome! 🙂
The cooking part was fine. I probably doubled the recipe.
Here are my thoughts on this process:
- Have lots of cheese cloth on hand. I don’t think I had enough to properly strain the apple mush.
- Apples have a lot of silt … I’m not sure if that’s the right word for it – but it perfectly describes the natural sediment that is produced from the process – so be aware that you probably won’t make a clear product.
- I got sick of squeezing the apple mush through the cheese cloth (because I don’t think I had enough of it to do it properly) so I ran the rest of the apple mush through my juicer … which I’m not sure if it helped. But I did it and I wanted to confess that part. And then I ran it through a fine mesh sieve as I poured it into my glass containers. (Kind of a pain as I had to constantly keep rinsing out the sieve to remove the silt)
- I wish I hadn’t added 1/2 cup of organic sugar. My cider turned out to be a little too sweet for me. I think it would have great flavor without it – but it’s up to you. I add a little water to mine when I warm it up.
- This is time consuming, but a fun adventure if you’re just hanging around the house on a crisp fall weekend.
- Your house will smell amazing while this is cooking!!!
- Enjoy the fruits of your labor – because they were worth it. Even better – share this with the people you love … because there is nothing better than making something fun and sharing it.
What is your favorite part about fall? Do you have a special recipe? Share your thoughts in the comments section. Thanks for reading!
Until next time, I send you peace, love, and good energy.