Dry shampoo has been all the rage in the trendy beauty industry. Unfortunately, these products are sold in aerosol cans and/or full of harmful ingredients. Basically, dry shampoo is a substance that absorbs the oil at the roots so you can leave the house without looking like a greasy mess when you don’t have time to shower. I was a huge fan of the popular brands until I learned what I was spraying on my head. I thought baby powder would be a good alternative until I realized talc was a carcinogen (and why are we putting this on our babies???!).
I began searching for a natural alternative for when I’m having one of “those” days or when I simply feel like giving my hair a break from washing. I live in the desert so if I wash my hair too frequently it gets all dry and frizzy – so dry shampoo is my friend.
It should also be explained that the oil that your head produces is good for your hair – it is our bodies way of naturally conditioning our hair.
Here’s the big secret: Arrowroot Powder
It is commonly used in cooking as a thickening agent … but is has many other uses that you can read on mountainroseherbs.com. I also buy my arrowroot powder from Moutain Rose Herbs – they have great quality products for great prices.
To use as dry shampoo:
- a small container
- an old make-up brush or other type of small brush
- a small amount of arrowroot powder
- Put the arrowroot powder into the container.
Note: This is to be used at the roots of your hair. I only use this on the top of my head. I start from a part above my ears and work from one side to the other.
- Make a part. Dip the brush into the powder, shake off excess, and then dab the powder onto your roots. If you have dark hair like me, don’t be alarmed at the excess white powder – it will go away.
- Keep making parts about 1/4 to 1/2 inch apart and work over the top of your head to the other side. Concentrate on the most visible parts.
- Then, take your fingers and massage your roots.
- The powder should not be visible at the point. If it is, you can run your brush through to get the excess out.
- Your hair should be looking pretty darn good. I will say – it doesn’t have that freshly washed look – but it does help tremendously and it will get you through the day.
- Style as usual.
Have you ever used arrowroot powder? What for?
Until next time, I send you peace, love, and good energy.