I have said it before and I will say it again: I hate salads! I don’t really know why … they taste good. I suppose it is because I find chomping on a bunch of leaves less-than satisfying. Thus, I have been on a very serious quest to make a salad that I want to eat … not just something I “get through.”
My Sweetie has always told me that I have to put fun toppings on it so I will eat it. Well, I took his advice and swapped it. I have created a salad that is MOSTLY toppings with salad leaf sprinkles… yeah … you read that right. My creation could have a hundred or more variations to suit your tastebuds …
What you will need:
- a giant bowl
- a can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed (I use an extra-large can – or you could use two cans if you like chickpeas as much as I do)
- avocado, chopped
- a large tomato, chopped
- a large cucumber, chopped
- kale, spinach, or you leaf of choice
- fresh herbs such as parsley and cilantro
- goat cheese crumbles to garnish
- flax seed to garnish
- other yummies: broccoli, seeds, nuts
- 1/3 c. tahini
- 4-6 T. of olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 c. water
- salt & pepper to taste
- other yummies (a pinch or two): cumin, smoked paprika, ground coriander, turmeric, garlic powder, cayenne
- Whisk tahini dressing ingredients together in the bottom of the giant bowl.
- Add chickpeas, avocado, cucumber, tomato, and herbs.
- Tear small pieces of kale on top. (I used purple kale – YUM!)
- Toss. Add goat cheese and flax seeds.
- Boom! Salad of many toppings with a little bit of leaf. MAGIC!
I find this recipe to be hearty, satisfying, and filling. It is also versatile because you can take what ever your favorite salad toppings are and turn them into the main event. Have fun salad-ing!
Until next time, I send you peace, love, and good energy!